Fancy trying some waffles for breakfast this weekend? Give my 50-50-50 waffles a go. The very original name comes from using 50g buckwheat flour, 50g coconut flour and 50g ground almonds. They’re so delicious and nutritious, using all natural ingredients. I’ve topped mine with live gourmet yoghurt and a rhubarb and nectarine compote- which is super simple and only take a few minutes to make. You can easily switch these ingredients and make a different fruity compote if you wish.
What I love the most about making waffles is that they’re practically effortless. No need to worry about whether they’re cooked through or when to flip them- let the wafflemaker do the work! Of course, if you don’t have a waffle maker this recipe will work equally well for pancakes. Enjoy!
50g Buckwheat Flour
50g Coconut Flour
50g Ground Almonds
1tsp Baking Powder
1tsp Vanilla Extract (optional)
180ml Coconut Milk
For the Rhubarb & Nectarine Compote
Approx 100g Rhubarb
2 tsp Honey
1/2 tsp Coconut Oil
1. Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs and milk together. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix until fully combined.
3. Heat the waffle maker. When ready use a jug or ladle to pour mixture into the waffle maker. Make sure not to overfill as the waffles will rise slightly.
For the Rhubarb & Necatrine Compote – best to make before the waffles.
1. Heat coconut oil over a medium heat in a saucepan
2. Roughly chop the rhubarb and nectarine. Along with the honey, add to saucepan once oil has melted. Heat for around five minutes until the fruit has softened. If required, add a little extra honey.