For all you KFC lovers that thought a healthy, delicious and crispy version couldn’t possibly exist- the time has come! The fabulous Hemsley Hemsley duo have created a baked, almond-crusted version and it’s just delicious! Even my dad, who loves a good KFC, was massively surprised, saying it was just as good as KFC without the grease – that’s when you know it’s a winning recipe! It’s like having a takeaway without the guilt. I paired mine with homemade guacamole and sweet potato wedges.
Give it a go – I know you will love it!
A little tip: I found the spice mix for coating the chicken made loads, it was enough to coat 8 drumsticks & 6 chicken thighs so you could easily half the spice mix, which will avoid waste and keep ingredients costs down.
- 180g (1½ cups) ground almonds, or use “Sun Flour” (ground sunflower seeds)
- 2 eggs
- 6 pieces of chicken (use a mix of drumsticks and thighs), skin on
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 tsp of hot smoked paprika or 2½ tsp of smoked sweet paprika with 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp onion powder (optional)
- 3/4 tsp of garlic powder (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to fan 180°C/356°F/Gas mark 6 and line a baking tray with baking parchment
2. Mix the ground almonds and ingredients for the spice mix in a bowl. In a second bowl, beat the eggs
3. Dip the chicken pieces, one at a time, in the egg, then coat in the mix of ground almonds and spices and lay on the baking tray
4. Gently heat the ghee and use a spoon to drizzle it over the pieces
5. Bake for 45 minutes until golden and sprinkle with some sea salt and pepper