It never quite feels like a Sunday unless you’ve had dessert, right? 😏 One of mum’s favourite desserts to whip up is a homemade crumble, so last year I went on a bit of a quest of putting my own ‘healthier’ slant on her crumble. Let’s just say mum now uses my recipe 😏 and quite a few other family relatives and friends have switched to using it too 😬i roughly follow the same recipe, but just mix and match the fruit in the base, and nuts used in the crumble topping. Always served with a dollop of greek yoghurt.
1 large green apple
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp flaxseed
2 tbsp ground almonds
Coconut oil (for cooking)
40g jumbo porridge oats
20g dessicated coconut
20g flaked almonds
2 tbsp coconut oil
2-3 tbsp maple syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Chop the apple & pears into small chunks.
3. Melt 1-2tsp coconut oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and add the chopped apples, pear and raspberries. Stew for approximately five minutes until softened.
4. In a large bowl, mix the flaxseed, ground almonds, and coconut sugar. Add the softened fruit, tossing until coated in the mixture. Place into the bottom of an oven proof dish, or ramekins.
5. For the topping, pulse the nuts in a food processor for a few seconds – alternatively use a rolling pin and bash.
6. Melt the coconut oil and maple syrup over a low heat. Remove from heat then stir in the jumbo oats, flaked almonds, desiccated coconut and blitzed nuts. Top over the fruit mixture.
7. Place in the oven for around twenty minutes, until the top is golden.