A whole new take on banana bread and I love it! Adding desiccated coconut is a real gamer changer- without the coconut being too overpowering- making the mix more dense and filling. I love mine heated and served with a dollop of yoghurt on top and some fruit, or if I’m really craving something sweet, a layer of raw chocolate spread – yum!
450g Ripe Bananas (smashed)
100g Coconut Oil
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Vanilla Paste or Extract
2 tsp Baking Powder
175g Coconut, desiccated
180g Spelt Flour, wholemeal
1. Preheat oven to 160 C (fan forced)
2. Combine smashed banana, eggs, honey, baking powder, cinnamon, vanilla and oil into a large mixing bowl.
3. Add coconut and spelt flour. Mix through until combined.
4. Spoon bread mixture into a loaf tin, lined with baking paper. The size I used was: 10 1/2 cm wide and 26 cm long. Decorate the top of the bread by adding halved banana and brush tops with a little olive oil + melted honey.
5. Bake for 1 hour or until the bread has cooked through. Cool completely in the tin before removing.